Sunday, November 28, 2010

Cocktail of the week #53: Pousse Café

At long last (too long, I am sure many of you are thinking) we come to the final card of the deck that started it all. Ladies & Gentlemen, the Pousse Café.

Like a black and tan, the key to this drink is delicately pouring a liquid of lesser density over one of greater density. I was more than a little unsure about making this concoction, as I have never succeeded in making a black and tan. Fortunately, liqueur is far more forgiving than beer in these sorts of operations. I created a flawless drink on my second try.

And what did we think?

It looks far better than it tastes.

A Pousse Café is gorgeous to look at, without a doubt, but the damn thing tastes utterly disgusting. This combination of liqueurs should be the basis of a science fiction horror movie:

Things were quite in the sleepy midwest town of Centersburg, until a busload of Spring Break-bound raving partying nuclear physics PhD candidates shattered a canister of radioactive Root Beer Schnapps isotopes in the cordial isle of the local LiquorMart... and thus was born the Limoncello Leviathan, and life would never be the same again. (dun-dun-DUNNNNN!)

Another down side: the two bottles of Chartreuse were quite expensive. So much so I balked at buying them... but I did, for you, Gentle Reader, and I’m sure they will outlast me (the stuff is harsh - imagine celery macerated in Everclear with a stiff dose of sulphur thrown in, for good measure).

And so, we make this a “miss.” Great for presentation value, but not so hot for your Friendly Neighborhood Tastebuds.

Scoreboard.
Hits: 40
Misses: 19

[Regular cocktail tasting to resume shortly. (Along with entries explaining what the Hell has been going on with me.)]

No comments: